Stellar Vegan Salad with Roasted Nectarines
Ever since I was a kid, I have loved creating salads, making the most of whatever seasonal fruits and vegetables I could find in the fridge. I love colors, textures, and playing with combinations. But I also don’t like my salads too fussy or fancy. Often the best salads are simple ones with just a handful of ingredients. Around this time of year, I’m always anticipating summer’s fruits — peaches, plums, nectarines, and watermelon. All of them will find their way into my salad bowl in the upcoming months.
To share my passion for salads, I’ve had a little side project going on for a while: the creation of an e-book entitled Stellar Vegan Salads. It’s still in the works… slated to become available in the fall. However, I thought I’d give my Cruelty-Free Faves friends a sneak preview with this salad that’s very easy to put together. In my home, I usually make one big bowl that my husband Seth and I share. One bowl, two forks! Enjoy!
Summertime Sunshine Salad
- Living butter lettuce
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Roasted nectarine*
- Roasted sunflower seeds
- Fresh mint
- Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- White Balsamic or Champagne Vinegar
- Slice one firm nectarine into eight wedges and roast in oven.*
- Toast sunflower seeds over medium heat for about 3 minutes. SEt aside.
- Place rinsed butter lettuce leaves in bowl.
- Arrange sprouts in circle along the outer edge of the bowl.
- Cur up fresh mint and sprinkle generously over the lettuce; set aside a sprig for the center as garnish.
- Add olive oil and vinegar.
- Place 6-8 nectarine wedges in the bowl; add some more sprouts aruond the wedges.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds and add center garnish.
- Ready to eat immediately, while nectarines are still warm!
*Oven-Roasted Nectarines: Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. Place wedges in an oven-safe glass dish and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for approximately 30 minutes. You want the wedges to be warm and slightly soft, but not mushy.